You say it to yourself every year — “this will be my best year yet.” But what are you actually doing to make that happen? If you end up falling back into the same habits you had the year before, any promises you made to yourself quickly fall by the wayside. But it doesn’t have to be that way! There are small, simple things you can do to make sure your personal New Year’s resolution comes true and 2017 actually becomes your best year yet. Below are five of the most common New Year’s resolutions and my first-hand tips for keeping them.
“This year I will get in shape”
Whether your goal is to lose weight, tone up or simply get in the best shape of your life, this New Year’s resolution usually becomes a fail the moment you crave that deep dish pizza or take a “lazy day” off from the gym. In order to stay true to this promise, below are a few things you can do.
- Drink a gallon of water a day — It will not only help you stay on track with any weight loss goals you may have, but it regulates your hunger and keeps you fuller longer. Plus, it’s just overall wonderful for the body!
- Stay active at least 4 times a week — This doesn’t mean you need to hit the gym all 4 times, it just means you need to get MOVING. Find something you enjoy and stick to that, whether it be jogging, yoga, weight training, etc. Staying active on a regular basis keeps you healthy and happy!
- Incorporate greens and fruits to every meal — Cutting out pizza or fries completely might work for some people, but if you’re like me, that’s just not a realistic diet. We all deserve a little indulgence. But if you’re adding the right stuff to each meal, you’ll be able to stay on track. I like tossing in a hearty green salad if I order a burger or a fruit bowl with my breakfast sandwich so I know my body is getting the nutrients it needs daily.
“This year I will have clear skin”
If you’ve read some of my past blog posts, you know my skin journey has not been an easy one. It took me a long time to get my skin where it is today, and I still have random moments of struggle with it. Below are some things you can do to have your skin at its best this year. (Also, see here for my flawless skin tips and here for my everyday skincare routine!)
- Drink a cup of green every day — Green tea is filled with amazing anti-aging and antioxidant benefits that help delay skin aging. Some things it helps prevent: Sagging skin, sun damage, age spots, fine lines and wrinkles.
- Use a face mask twice a week — Face masks not only give you that soft, glowy look, but they refresh your skin from any impurities that build up inside it throughout the week.
- Avoid touching your face at all costs — Touching your face is a huge no-no when it comes to clearing your skin. It may be tough if you’re used to popping your pimples or scratching them when itchy, but remember this one simple rule: When you have a breakout, keep your hands away from it and you will see a huge change in how many you get over time.
“This year I will travel more”
It’s no secret that the biggest struggle when it comes to traveling is having the money to do so. While money isn’t everything, it certainly means a lot when it comes to seeing the world. On top of that, there’s taking time off from work, finding a place you really want to go, etc. Below are some things to keep in mind when making your vacation dreams a reality.
- Open a savings account strictly for traveling — Unlike your regular savings account, which is most likely for emergencies and bigger personal purchases, your vacation savings account will help you make sure you have enough stored up by the time you’re ready to take that fabulous trip. Put in what you can afford to each month (whether that be $20 or $200) and watch it grow.
- Plan a trip a year in advance — If you’re extremely impatient like me, this will be the toughest step, but trust me when I say it’s worth it. Planning your vacation a year ahead of time will not only allow you time to save money, but will also help you actually follow through with the trip instead of making false promises about traveling “soon.”
- Look into all inclusive vacation deals — If you don’t already know, all inclusive means all costs of the trip are included in your initial payment. This means food, flight, hotel, etc. It’s the perfect way to get everything paid for and taken care of ahead of time so all you need to worry about on the actual trip is having fun. (See here for all inclusive Groupon deals!)
“This year I will eat healthier”
If you don’t do it on a consistent basis, eating right might not exactly come easy. Like I said before, I absolutely love a good pepperoni pizza and I can’t say no to a delicious cupcake, but that doesn’t mean eating healthy is impossible. Below are three tricks to help you work your way into healthier eating.
- Fill your fridge and pantry with all the good stuff — This means greens, fruits, water, tea, and lean proteins. It’s perfectly okay to add in a few sweets and a bag of chips here and there (why deprive yourself after all?) but the key is that you don’t want your entire fridge to be made up of these items. If 90 percent of your home is filled with good eats and the other 10 percent is filled with indulgences, you’ll be less likely to stray from your goal.
- Put your own yummy spin on healthy recipes — Taking those classic healthy dishes and making them your own will encourage you to eat good more often. To get you started, here’s a collection of delicious, healthy goodies from Greatist.
- Delete all delivery apps off your phone — This means you, Seamless! As much as you love the easy access of that delicious taco spot at any time of day, taking these apps off your phone is actually a super simple way to eat better. Not having access to them enables you to cook meals that are good for you more often.
“This year I will focus on my happiness”
Getting in touch with YOU and finding yourself are extremely important aspects of being happy. While there may be many things in this world that may bring you down or affect your outlook on life, happiness actually isn’t too far out of reach. Below are three things you can do to work on yourself this year.
- Get outside — It may sound simple, but the truth is, with such easy access to our electronic devices, more people are on their couches and glued to their phones than ever. Stepping outdoors and getting a breath of fresh air is more important to your well being than you know. Take a hike, hit the beach or go on a long jog and take in all nature has to offer. Oh, and don’t forget to B R E A T H E.
- Wake up an hour earlier than normal — Waking up early decreases the stress of rushing to get ready and gives you that extra boost of confidence to take on the day. You’ll breath easier knowing you can sit down, eat your breakfast and relax in peace before heading out into the world.
- Let go off all the negatives holding you back — Whether that be a bad relationship, toxic friends or a sh*tty job, let it go! It has no room in your life and your overall well being will thank you later. It’s amazing how much your disposition changes when you release the bad and take in the good.
HAPPY 2017 & CHEERS TO YOUR BEST YEAR YET!
Want to see more posts like this? Let me know in the comments below!