Reminder: Everyone’s curls are different; this is simply what works for me!
My hair — Medium texture, loose curls
The first thing you need to know about keeping your curls alive is avoiding heat damage as much as possible. When I was younger, I hated my natural hair and straightened it every single day. This ruined my hair almost to the point of no return until I finally began to appreciate my curls and learned how to properly take care of them. Straightening, color treatment and blow drying your hair on a consistent basis causes breakage, weakens your hair cuticles and ultimately kills your curls.
Don’t get me wrong, I love a good balayage and have gotten my hair colored twice, but with long periods of time in between to allow my hair time to heal from the process. I still straighten my hair every now and then as well, but it’s extremely rare for me.
My hair straightened (left) and natural (right), pictured below:
But aside from avoiding heat and color treatments, there are other ways to keep your curls fresh and lively. I have a handful of products I use consistently to ensure my hair stays vibrant, moisturized and healthy. From shampoos and leave-in conditioners, to hair masks and creams — this is my complete curly hair routine:
- Apply leave-in conditioner from root to ends, let sit overnight to deeply moisturize
- Wash hair with DevaCurl no-poo shampoo then rinse
- Apply moisture mask, leave in for 15 minutes then rinse
- Apply DevaCurl One Condition conditioner then rinse
- Wrap hair with microfiber towel until it’s damp
- Apply hair primer from root to ends
- Apply any curl smoothie, cream, milk, souflee of your choosing (mixing products is A-ok!)
- Scrunch damp hair at ends to define curls
- Use Conair diffuser on damp curls until dry
- Fluff out hair for extra volume!
AND WALAH! The end result is soft, shiny, healthy hair.
Any curly hair questions? Drop em in the comments below. xx ❤